Gardens have been an important part of the Fort Ticonderoga landscape for centuries. A garden’s type, style, size and use are a reflection of the people who constructed and cared for it. Every garden has a purpose, and whether for sustenance or simple enjoyment, gardens have flourished on the Ticonderoga peninsula.
The history of these gardens is celebrated in the name, The King’s Garden, a term used on 18th-century military maps of Ticonderoga to delineate the Fort’s garrison gardens. In the 20th century, the phrase was fondly applied to the Colonial Revival garden that was planted on the same site. Today this name extends to include the 40-acre developed landscape along with the formal garden near Fort Ticonderoga. The King’s Garden maintains features from each era that shaped it; a time capsule of history and horticulture. The domestic landscape is interwoven with military features of the 18th-century battlefield, extending from lakeshore to forested hills above the stone Fort. Our goal is to continue the legacy of stewardship begun by William Ferris Pell in 1820.
Admission to the King’s Garden is included when visiting Fort Ticonderoga. A short walking path leads from the imposing stone Fort to the serenity of a lakeside retreat. Guided and self-guided tours are available daily from May 25th through October 14th and additional programs and special tours are offered throughout the year.