All Posts

Fort Ticonderoga Highlights Recent Important Preservation Projects during National Preservation Month

Fort Ticonderoga has recently announced several important preservation projects underway. These projects, totaling more than $2 million, are in the spotlight this May, which is dedicated to National Preservation Month and celebrates the nation’s heritage through historic places.

“Fort Ticonderoga proudly leads the nation as one of the earliest historic preservation endeavors when William Ferris Pell purchased the historic garrison grounds in 1820 and committed to its protection. For centuries Ticonderoga has been a place of pilgrimage, offering a reminder of the struggles and sacrifices of those who have gone before us who gave us the freedom we cherish as a people,” said Beth L. Hill, Fort Ticonderoga President and CEO. “Today we continue the preservation mission because Ticonderoga must remain an important national touchstone, a place of remembrance, learning and inspiration for generations to come.”demi lune project

Fort Ticonderoga is owned and operated by The Fort Ticonderoga Association, a non-profit educational organization. The featured projects are funded thanks to state, federal, foundation and individual donor support. Highlighted below are Fort Ticonderoga’s projects featured as part of the National Preservation Month Celebration.

North Demi-lune Restoration
The major restoration project on the fort’s north demi-lune began in 2022 and continues into 2024 to address water management, structural integrity, and veneer replacement. Originally constructed in the 18th century, the north demi-lune was used to defend Fort Ticonderoga against invaders and was part of the fort’s outer defenses that Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold saw as they crossed Lake Champlain on their journey to capture the fort in May of 1775 securing America’s first victory in the Revolution. The north demilune project is supported in part by a Save America’s Treasures grant from the Historic Preservation Fund administered by the National Park Service. Additional support for the $2 million restoration project comes from a grant by the New York State Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Properties, The Perkin Fund and individual donor support. 

Additionally, a Conditions Report of the fort walls and barracks is underway thanks to a grant from the Preservation League of New York State. The Conditions Report will aid Fort Ticonderoga in understanding restoration needs, priorities, and procedures needed to preserve these iconic walls and structure in a way that will last for many generations to come. This project is funded by The Preserve New York grant program is a partnership between the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) and the Preservation League of New York State, made possible by NYSCA with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.

The Log House Welcome Center
The Log House Welcome Center received much- needed restoration recently including a new roof, structural stabilization, and interior restoration. This project is addressing priority structural repairs and the much-needed remodeling of the bathrooms. Built in the first quarter of the 20th century, and expanded several times, the Log House is part of Fort Ticonderoga’s layers of historic architecture and is considered one of America’s oldest continuously operating “roadhouses” associated with a destination. The Log House restoration project (phase 1) is made possible, in part, by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.

Smith’s Forge
Built in ca: 1761, the Smith’s Forge was recently the focus of a Conditions Survey to determine the best way to preserve the remains of this structure, considered one of the few unrestored and untouched 18th-century architectural features still standing at Fort Ticonderoga. Shortly after establishing Fort Carillon (later named Ticonderoga), the French Army began the construction of a series of ancillary structures, including the Smith’s Forge, to the south of the fort, beginning in early 1756. This area — known as the lower town, or the French Village — housed a number of proto-industrial structures that supported the military activities of the armies who garrisoned Ticonderoga in the 18th century. This project was funded by The Technical Assistance Grant program is a partnership between the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) and the Preservation League of New York State, made possible by NYSCA with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.

Preserving Priceless Collections
The full-length portrait of Frances (Fanny) Montresor-Buchanan-Allen-Penniman c.1771, was acquired in 1910, one of our museum’s earliest acquisitions. The painting is undergoing professional conservation prior to display in 2025 as part of the upcoming annually rotating exhibition “A Revolutionary Anthology.” This exhibition is part of the museum’s national 250th commemoration, running from 2024-2028. The NYSCA/Greater Heritage Hudson Network Conservation Grant Treatment Program is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.

The Thompson-Pell Research Center
The Thompson-Pell Research Center serves as the museum’s research facility and collections storage. Thanks to a recent grant award, Fort Ticonderoga will be able to install an upgraded HVAC system. The newly installed system will ensure the appropriate climate control needed to preserve the hundreds of thousands of objects in our collections held within the building including textiles, documents, weapons, art, archaeological items, and more! This project is made possible in part by a grant from the New York State Department of Environmental Conversation Smart Growth Grant.

About Fort Ticonderoga
Welcoming visitors since 1909, Fort Ticonderoga is a museum, historic site, major cultural destination, and center for learning, on-site and across the globe through Fort Ticonderoga’s Center for Digital History. As a multi-day destination and the premier place to learn more about North America’s military heritage, Fort Ticonderoga engages more than 70,000 visitors each year. Presenting vibrant programs, historic interpretation, boat cruises, tours, demonstrations, and exhibits, Fort Ticonderoga and is open for daily visitation May through October and special programs during Winter Quarters, November through April. Fort Ticonderoga is owned by The Fort Ticonderoga Association, a 501c3 non-profit educational organization, and is supported in part through generous donations and with some general operating support made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts. To view Fort Ticonderoga’s electronic press kit, click here. © The Fort Ticonderoga Association. 2024 All Rights Reserved.