Mount Hope is located on a steep hill to the north of the French and British sawmills once powered by the lower falls of the La Chute River. Scouting posts had been located here during the French & Indian War. In the 1776-1777 campaigns the Americans build an “entrenched camp” on Mount Hope, but were forced to abandon the position by the British in early July 1777. In September 1777, in a rear-guard action, the Americans succeeded in capturing the outpost, but could not drive the British from Fort Ticonderoga.
Mount Hope Today
While much of the site is today occupied by the Mount Hope Cemetery in Ticonderoga, New York, the Fort Ticonderoga Association preserves roughly the southern quarter of the original complex. A New York State historic marker on Burgoyne Road identifies the site.