Hours and Admission
Research in the library, archive, and collection is currently by appointment only. Research visits are typically scheduled between 10am-4pm with a break for lunch. It is recommended you make an appointment at least two weeks in advance so that a staff member may honor your request.
For historical inquiries or to make an appointment, please contact:
For assistance with photography requests, please contact:
Miranda Peters, VP of Collections & Digital Production
Phone: (518) 585-1015
Preparing for your Visit
The library and archive are housed at the Thompson-Pell Research Center and are accessible for research purposes by appointment.
- When you arrive at the Thompson-Pell Research Center, you must check-in at the front desk. The staff member working with you during your visit will greet you at the front desk after your arrival.
- Researchers are asked to register each day, provide positive photographic identification, and abide by the established collection use policies.
- It can be cold in the Reading Room, so bring an extra layer to stay warm!
- The library and archives are closed stack and thus not available for viewing or browsing. Retrieval of all materials is limited to museum staff. Library materials are non-circulating and may not be checked out.
- You may bring pencils (no pens), notepads, a camera, and laptops into the Reading Room. No food, drink, or gum is permitted. Coats and bags may be checked in the secure coat room adjacent to the Reading Room.
- Hand-held cameras are permitted without a tripod or additional lighting. Photography is for research purposes only. A research appointment does not guarantee permission to publish, share, or otherwise reproduce without additional written approval.
- Staff reserves the right to refuse photography of certain objects due to condition or copyright issues.
- The museum maintains several thematic research bibliographies, finding aids, and catalogs to aid in accessing the collection. These resources are being updated constantly and are not comprehensive, therefore contacting museum staff is important to guide research projects.
- There are a limited number of electrical outlets in the Reading Room. Please plan accordingly. Free wireless is available in the Thompson-Pell Research Center.
The Thompson-Pell Research Center building was originally a New York Telephone Company building constructed between 1931-32 as the company’s repeater station. Although renovated for offices in 1989-92, the building has survived with much of its original architecture intact. Today it is a significant example of an early telephone building that played an important role in the social and business life of the Adirondacks in the twentieth century.
The Thompson-Pell Research Center is not located on Fort Ticonderoga’s main campus. If you have arrived at the entrance gates for the historic site, you have gone too far. The Thompson-Pell Research Center is located at 30 Fort Ti Road in Ticonderoga, NY. The entrance to the building is in the back next to the parking lot and is wheelchair accessible. If you need additional directions or assistance, please call (518) 585-2821.