Underwater Ticonderoga: Archaeology from the King’s Shipyard

After capturing Fort Carillon in July 1759, the British quickly established a shipyard at the newly named Ticonderoga to counter French naval presence on Lake Champlain. Vessels such as the sloop Boscawen and the brigantine Duke of Cumberland patrolled the waters of the lake, mooring at Ticonderoga’s docks and in 1760, even provided housing for officers. Explorations of the King’s Shipyard in the 1980’s and 2019 have offered an incredible, and well-preserved, window into ship construction and day-to-day life aboard vessels on the lake. Visit the Mars Education Center to learn more about the shipyard’s history and see a selection of artifacts recovered from the waters of Lake Champlain!